The hounds of time

not even the present,
tearing, sucking, biting
away at every moment
cutting, clawing, crashing
all your happy thoughts
until even their memory
is nothing but a faint echo,
yet they keep on hunting.
The hounds of time,
once you let them in, they
will make you miserable
unless you learn to tame
them, eventually you are
the mind that feeds,
while they’re the ones
in need.

Β© Matthias Grupe, July 2018

11 Comments Add yours

1. lunarpoet says:

Reblogged this on lunarpoet and commented:

I’ve just joined the Literati Mafia, so you are going to find some of my pieces over there in the future. πŸ–€

2. I really like this poem. I was also recently wondering the effect time can have on a person, and symbolizing it as hounds always chasing you and wanting to tear you apart is a great idea. From the way I see it, if you are not aware of time passing, it can erode your thoughts and memories and leave you with nothing once you realize all the time that has passed. I always try to be mindful of how I spend my time, try to keep it from slipping away, so that, at the end, it does not destroy me.

Liked by 1 person

1. lunarpoet says:

Thanks for your comment, Kat. Much appreciated. πŸ™‚ And I agree, being mindful helps. Eventually we all lose the battle against time, but until then we can at least try to spend it wisely (or waste it on something worthwhile).

Liked by 2 people

3. Well written.
    Beautiful imagery.

Liked by 1 person

1. lunarpoet says:

Thanks for reading! Glad you liked it. πŸŒ™

1. lunarpoet says:

Thanks, Tara. πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

4. it’s this, losing battle we’re all, engaged in, running this race we’re, destined to lose, to time, and yet, we can’t help, but believe that we might win…

Liked by 1 person

1. lunarpoet says:

Eventually death beats us all at the race, but until the we can still choose how we spend our days, at least to a certain extent. Thanks for your comment!

5. I love eerie poetry. This one really creeps up on you. Nice work.

Liked by 1 person