When nature fails to invigorate

When even nature fails to invigorate,
When forests seem bleak and mountains heave a sigh,
When things just fall apart like a reprobate

Whose worn existence and stale cigarette
Makes me – a twisted catcher in the rye
Whose broken nature fails to invigorate.

When gnarly trees do threaten, castigate
With haunting browns, dead leaves – a sore to the eye,
When things just fall apart like a reprobate,

I look at you and set apart all hate
And embracing love with its low and soaring high
I look past, ‘Nature fails to invigorate,’

And such sayings that just sear, eviscerate
The little strength I cherish and hold nigh,
When things just fall apart like a reprobate.

I cannot deny the existence of fate
Because it brought me you, beyond the ‘Why?’
When even nature fails to invigorate,
When things just fall apart like a reprobate.

© Nitin Lalit Murali (2019)

You can find more of my work here

12 Comments Add yours

1. Fantastic, Nitin. Good to read again.

Liked by 1 person

1. Nitin says:

Thank you so much Chelsea. It’s always great to hear from you.

Liked by 1 person

1. Gah! I meant “good to read from you again.” 🙂

Thanks!

Liked by 1 person

1. Nitin says:

I get reader’s block too, you know 🙃 You’re welcome!

Liked by 1 person

2. J. Gomez says:

There are so many brilliant phrasings going on with this. I really enjoyed reading this. One of my favorite lines is

“When gnarly trees do threaten, castigate
    With haunting browns, dead leaves – a sore to the eye,”

Liked by 1 person

1. Nitin says:

Thank you so much for such a wonderful comment J. I wrote this piece when I was in the mountains. Even though the place had such charm, it failed to refresh me and everything looked more menacing than beautiful. Hence the haunting imagery.

Liked by 1 person

1. J. Gomez says:

You’re welcime. That does sound like a strange moment. You did a good job in choosing words that shed perspective on the dichotomy of that moment. Thank you for sharing

Liked by 1 person

3. Mia Pharaoh says:

Dear Nitin, along within the “haunting imagery” and crushed expectations I believe you’ve captured a serene beauty and crystal calmness in this piece with the following lines:

“I cannot deny the existence of fate
    Because it brought me you, beyond the ‘Why?’”

Beautiful and heartfelt writing as always, thank you. ~ Mia

Liked by 1 person

1. Nitin says:

Dear Mia,

Thank you for such an insightful comment. The part you liked is the tortured romantic in me speaking! The idealist bringing calm! I wish my dreams actually materialised and weren’t just fodder for my poems. If they do and fate actually brings me someone, will my work possess more depth, or will I be too caught up in the relationship to write? I don’t know. Only time will tell

Liked by 1 person

1. Mia Pharaoh says:

Dear Nitin, you’re welcome. The romantic idealist in me believes it can be both.

Liked by 1 person